Traveling for vacay and work are two different things. Let’s face it, on vacay… I lay on the beach ALL DAY. For work… I usually am busy from sun up to midnight therefore not on my normal sleep schedule, a bit off my typical nutrition and I usually come home feeling tired from late nights and early morning flights. So after multiple trips and big conventions for this introvert… here are my TOP TIPS to get back on your game by Monday!
My Top 7 Post-Travel Tips
1. Get & stay hydrated! Easier said than done with TSA always confiscating your water, but buy one, get some on the plane and most definitely chug 4-5 glasses of cold water once you’re home. This also helps WAKE UP your body if you did take an early AM flight.
2. Take a short 30m power nap. A power nap can leave you feeling refreshed. A 3 hour nap can leave you feeling more tired. You still want to sleep TONIGHT, so trust me… set your alarm for 30-40 minutes.
3. Pick healthy food choices post-flight. I know healthy options aren’t always easy when you travel, so if you skipped placing a few healthy options in your bag don’t sweat it… do your best and pick the best once you’re home. Skip ordering pizza tonight, instead opt for a large salad or home cooked meal to have you feeling leaner tomorrow.
4. Go for a walk. After stale travel air honestly one of the best things you can do for your body is to get some FRESH air!
5. Do a brain dump. Make a list of things you wanna tackle post trip be they things at home or work. Then prioritize your list, so that on Monday you know what’s most important for you to get done.
6. Unpack. Ugh, I’m with you–I hate unpacking, but waking up on Monday morning with your luggage empty, put away and your laundry already sorted feels amazing come a new week. If you suck it up and do it, I promise, you’ll be glad you did!
7. Get to bed on time OR even 30-60m earlier than usual. Once home, the best way to get back on track is to get right back to your normal schedule and that starts with sleep. Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep and head to bed a bit earlier if you need to get up for work, the kids, your dog, etc… at a usual time tomorrow AM so you can get a bit more shut-eye without hitting the snooze 6 times and starting your Monday stressed & late.
Traveling is not easy on our bodies or families, but there are some SIMPLE things we can do to manage travel stress, jet lag, dehydration and less sleep while traveling. Employ a few or all of these tips the next time you travel!